Posts for tag: cosmetic dentistry
At the first-ever Players Weekend in August 2017, Major League Baseball players wore jerseys with their nicknames on the back. One player — Cleveland Indians shortstop, Francisco Lindor — picked the perfect moniker to express his cheerful, fun-loving nature: “Mr. Smile.” And Lindor gave fans plenty to smile about when he belted a 2-run homer into the stands while wearing his new jersey!
Lindor has explained that he believes smiling is an important part of connecting with fans and teammates alike: “I’ve never been a fan of the guy that makes a great play and then acts like he’s done it 10,000 times — smile, man! We’ve got to enjoy the game.”
We think Lindor is right: Smiling is a great way to generate good will. And it feels great too… as long as you have a smile that’s healthy, and that looks as good as you want it to. But what if you don’t? Here are some things we can do at the dental office to help you enjoy smiling again:
Routine Professional Cleanings & Exams. This is a great place to start on the road toward a healthy, beautiful smile. Even if you are conscientious about brushing and flossing at home, you won’t be able to remove all of the disease-causing dental plaque that can hide beneath the gum line, especially if it has hardened into tartar, but we can do it easily in the office. Then, after a thorough dental exam, we can identify any problems that may be affecting your ability to smile freely, such as tooth decay, gum disease, or cosmetic dental issues.
Cosmetic Dental Treatments. If your oral health is good but your smile is not as bright as you’d like it to be, we can discuss a number of cosmetic dental treatments that can help. These range from conservative procedures such as professional teeth whitening and bonding to more dramatic procedures like porcelain veneers or crowns.
Tooth Replacement. Many people hide their smiles because they are embarrassed by a gap from a missing tooth. That’s a shame, because there are several excellent tooth-replacement options in a variety of price ranges. These include partial and full dentures, bridgework, and dental implants. So don’t let a missing tooth stop you from being Mr. (or Ms.) Smile!
If you’d like more information about oral health or cosmetic dentistry, please contact us or schedule an appointment for a consultation. You can also learn more by reading the Dear Doctor magazine articles “Beautiful Smiles by Design” and “The Impact of a Smile Makeover.”
If you are considering dental implants to replace your missing tooth, it’s only natural to have some questions or concerns. Find out more about dental implants and how they can benefit your smile with Dr. James Outlaw at Outlaw Dental in Winter Park, FL.
What is a dental implant?
Dental implants are a restorative dental procedure which focuses on replacing a missing tooth, several missing teeth, or even all of the teeth on an arch. Implants have three core components: the implant fixture, the abutment, and the dental prosthetic.
- Fixture: The implant’s fixture is implanted into the bone, which grows around it to replace the missing tooth’s root.
- Abutment: The abutment connects the fixture to the prosthetic tooth.
- Prosthetic: The dental prosthetic — a porcelain tooth replacement — fits over the fixture to finalize the implant as a substitute for the missing tooth itself.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Traditional tooth replacement options depend on the healthy teeth surrounding the gap to stay in place. Thanks to their design, implants stand alone, using only the bone below your missing tooth to stay in place. Additionally, filling in the gaps in your smile helps to increase the efficiency of chewing, eating, and, in some cases, even speaking. Implants also improve the appearance of your smile, boosting confidence and self-esteem.
What is the process for dental implants?
The process for implants takes place in phases. The first phase involves a consultation to ensure that you are a good candidate for this procedure. Then, your dentist will prepare your mouth for your implants. Depending on your situation, this could mean anything from treating simple teeth decay to extractions. Then, your dentist surgically places the implants. After your implants have healed, your dentist will begin the second half of your treatment, which involves placing the prosthetic onto the fixture to complete the implant.
Dental Implants in Winter Park, FL
For more information on dental implants, please contact Dr. James Outlaw at Outlaw Dental in Winter Park, FL. Call (407) 671-6506 to schedule your consultation for dental implants with Dr. Outlaw today!
Are you unsure if dental implants are the best choice for your situation? Learning a little about this innovative restoration method can help you make a decision. Winter Park, FL, dentist Dr. James Outlaw of Outlaw Dental offers dental implants and other restoration options that restore your smile.
Should I Choose a Dental Implant?
Dental implants offer a long-term solution to tooth loss and may be a good choice in these situations:
- You're Unhappy with the Gap in Your Smile: The loss of even one tooth is very noticeable and can make you feel a little self-conscious at work and in social settings. A dental implant topped with a dental crown will fill the gap in your smile and help boost your self-esteem.
- You Want a Restoration That Can Last Your Entire Life: Unlike other restorations, dental implants actually become a permanent part of your jaw and act as synthetic roots. The titanium post bond to the bone as little as three to six months after they're placed in the bone during minor oral surgery. With proper care, most implants will never need to be replaced. Due to wear and tear, you'll need to replace your crown about every 10 to 15 years.
- You're Not Happy with Your Dentures: Although implants are often used to replace single missing teeth, they're also an excellent option if you wear dentures. Each denture is connected to four or more implants in your jaw. Implant-supported dentures don't slip when you chew and don't decrease your biting power.
- You're Concerned About Changes to Your Jaw After Tooth Loss: Without constant stimulation from your tooth roots, your jawbone may begin to eventually shrink. A shrinking jawbone can cause several unpleasant consequences, such as facial sagging or the loosening or loss of some of your other teeth.
- You Prefer an Easy-Care Restoration Method: Taking care of dental implants is simple and only requires daily brushing and flossing and regular visits to your Winter Park dentist. Flossing around the base of your crown is particularly important and helps prevent an infection that may loosen the implant.
Fill the gaps in your smile with dental implants! Call Winter Park, FL, dentist Dr. James Outlaw of Outlaw Dental at (407) 671-6506 to schedule an appointment.
A beautiful smile is something people want. We want to look picture perfect for pictures, graduation and job interviews. Dr. James Outlaw, your Winter Park, FL, cosmetic dentist, can help.
Here are a few procedures you may want to consider to brighten your smile:
- Teeth Whitening: Do you have yellow and/or stained teeth? Part of the reason our teeth become discolored is aging. Some other reasons include smoking, chewing tobacco, drinking coffee and/or tea, and eating certain foods like blueberries. Your Winter Park doctor provides in-office or over-the-counter kits, whichever is more convenient for you.
- Dental Implants: Are you suffering from serious tooth loss? Dental implants are titanium posts that replace tooth roots. Your doctor places an abutment and a crown matching the rest of your teeth. This procedure strengthens your teeth and improves the appearance of your smile.
- Veneers: These procedures resurface an individual's teeth. Veneers cover teeth that are stained or discolored due to poor hygiene, drinking coffee or tea, smoking, chewing tobacco, or certain antibiotics containing tetracycline. Veneers can also fix mishappened, crooked, worn down, chipped, or irregularly shaped teeth and uneven surfaces and spacing, like overcrowdedness.
- Cosmetic Gum Surgery: When some patients have a “gummy” smile, there's a disproportionate gum-to-tooth ratio. Cosmetic gum surgery contours and reshapes overgrown and receding gums.
- Dental Bonding: This procedure uses composite resin to cover the surfaces of your teeth for a whiter smile. The advantage of dental bonding is it can be done in one sitting in a few minutes.
To take proper care of your new cosmetic dental procedure(s), make sure you brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once before bed.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any cosmetic procedures, call your Winter Park, FL, dentist, Dr. James Outlaw, at (407) 671-6506 today!
How veneers from your dentist in Winter Park can enhance your smile
Do you want a great looking smile, but instead you have unattractive, cracked, or yellowed teeth? If your smile is suffering, chances are your self-esteem is suffering too! It’s time to bring out your beautiful smile and it’s easy, thanks to porcelain veneers. Dr. James Outlaw at Outlaw Dental in Winter Park, FL wants to share how porcelain veneers can help you and your smile.
Your smile plays a big part in your self-esteem and self-confidence. If your teeth are damaged or showing the signs of aging, it can affect how you feel about yourself. That’s where porcelain veneers can help.
Veneers are thin laminates of beautiful porcelain which are cemented onto the front surfaces of teeth. They are designed to cover up many unsightly cosmetic dental issues including:
- Yellowing, thinning teeth due to aging
- Cracks, defects or fractures due to trauma
- Breakage, chipping or tooth wear due to bad habits
- Heavy stains and discolorations from smoking, coffee or medications
You can also cosmetically alter the positioning of teeth by closing gaps between teeth, eliminating tooth overlap, and correcting the look of rotated teeth.
With proper care, your porcelain veneers will last for many years and still look dazzling. That’s because porcelain repels stains, and will stay sparkling even if you drink coffee or smoke. Porcelain veneers also look just like natural teeth because porcelain is translucent and reflects light, just like natural tooth enamel.
If you want to jazz-up your smile for a special event you have coming up, porcelain veneers are a perfect choice. They typically require between two to three appointments to complete, including a consultation, preparation, and cementation appointment.
If you want a beautiful smile, porcelain veneers can help. If you want to get noticed and feel better about yourself, porcelain veneers can help with that too! It all starts with a simple phone call to Dr. Outlaw at Outlaw Dental in Winter Park, FL. You deserve a fantastic smile, so get started by calling today!