Posts for tag: cosmetic dentistry
If you are considering dental implants to replace your missing tooth, it’s only natural to have some questions or concerns. Find out more about dental implants and how they can benefit your smile with Dr. James Outlaw at Outlaw Dental in Winter Park, FL.
What is a dental implant?
Dental implants are a restorative dental procedure which focuses on replacing a missing tooth, several missing teeth, or even all of the teeth on an arch. Implants have three core components: the implant fixture, the abutment, and the dental prosthetic.
- Fixture: The implant’s fixture is implanted into the bone, which grows around it to replace the missing tooth’s root.
- Abutment: The abutment connects the fixture to the prosthetic tooth.
- Prosthetic: The dental prosthetic — a porcelain tooth replacement — fits over the fixture to finalize the implant as a substitute for the missing tooth itself.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Traditional tooth replacement options depend on the healthy teeth surrounding the gap to stay in place. Thanks to their design, implants stand alone, using only the bone below your missing tooth to stay in place. Additionally, filling in the gaps in your smile helps to increase the efficiency of chewing, eating, and, in some cases, even speaking. Implants also improve the appearance of your smile, boosting confidence and self-esteem.
What is the process for dental implants?
The process for implants takes place in phases. The first phase involves a consultation to ensure that you are a good candidate for this procedure. Then, your dentist will prepare your mouth for your implants. Depending on your situation, this could mean anything from treating simple teeth decay to extractions. Then, your dentist surgically places the implants. After your implants have healed, your dentist will begin the second half of your treatment, which involves placing the prosthetic onto the fixture to complete the implant.
Dental Implants in Winter Park, FL
For more information on dental implants, please contact Dr. James Outlaw at Outlaw Dental in Winter Park, FL. Call (407) 671-6506 to schedule your consultation for dental implants with Dr. Outlaw today!
Are you unsure if dental implants are the best choice for your situation? Learning a little about this innovative restoration method can help you make a decision. Winter Park, FL, dentist Dr. James Outlaw of Outlaw Dental offers dental implants and other restoration options that restore your smile.
Should I Choose a Dental Implant?
Dental implants offer a long-term solution to tooth loss and may be a good choice in these situations:
- You're Unhappy with the Gap in Your Smile: The loss of even one tooth is very noticeable and can make you feel a little self-conscious at work and in social settings. A dental implant topped with a dental crown will fill the gap in your smile and help boost your self-esteem.
- You Want a Restoration That Can Last Your Entire Life: Unlike other restorations, dental implants actually become a permanent part of your jaw and act as synthetic roots. The titanium post bond to the bone as little as three to six months after they're placed in the bone during minor oral surgery. With proper care, most implants will never need to be replaced. Due to wear and tear, you'll need to replace your crown about every 10 to 15 years.
- You're Not Happy with Your Dentures: Although implants are often used to replace single missing teeth, they're also an excellent option if you wear dentures. Each denture is connected to four or more implants in your jaw. Implant-supported dentures don't slip when you chew and don't decrease your biting power.
- You're Concerned About Changes to Your Jaw After Tooth Loss: Without constant stimulation from your tooth roots, your jawbone may begin to eventually shrink. A shrinking jawbone can cause several unpleasant consequences, such as facial sagging or the loosening or loss of some of your other teeth.
- You Prefer an Easy-Care Restoration Method: Taking care of dental implants is simple and only requires daily brushing and flossing and regular visits to your Winter Park dentist. Flossing around the base of your crown is particularly important and helps prevent an infection that may loosen the implant.
Fill the gaps in your smile with dental implants! Call Winter Park, FL, dentist Dr. James Outlaw of Outlaw Dental at (407) 671-6506 to schedule an appointment.
A beautiful smile is something people want. We want to look picture perfect for pictures, graduation and job interviews. Dr. James Outlaw, your Winter Park, FL, cosmetic dentist, can help.
Here are a few procedures you may want to consider to brighten your smile:
- Teeth Whitening: Do you have yellow and/or stained teeth? Part of the reason our teeth become discolored is aging. Some other reasons include smoking, chewing tobacco, drinking coffee and/or tea, and eating certain foods like blueberries. Your Winter Park doctor provides in-office or over-the-counter kits, whichever is more convenient for you.
- Dental Implants: Are you suffering from serious tooth loss? Dental implants are titanium posts that replace tooth roots. Your doctor places an abutment and a crown matching the rest of your teeth. This procedure strengthens your teeth and improves the appearance of your smile.
- Veneers: These procedures resurface an individual's teeth. Veneers cover teeth that are stained or discolored due to poor hygiene, drinking coffee or tea, smoking, chewing tobacco, or certain antibiotics containing tetracycline. Veneers can also fix mishappened, crooked, worn down, chipped, or irregularly shaped teeth and uneven surfaces and spacing, like overcrowdedness.
- Cosmetic Gum Surgery: When some patients have a “gummy” smile, there's a disproportionate gum-to-tooth ratio. Cosmetic gum surgery contours and reshapes overgrown and receding gums.
- Dental Bonding: This procedure uses composite resin to cover the surfaces of your teeth for a whiter smile. The advantage of dental bonding is it can be done in one sitting in a few minutes.
To take proper care of your new cosmetic dental procedure(s), make sure you brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once before bed.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any cosmetic procedures, call your Winter Park, FL, dentist, Dr. James Outlaw, at (407) 671-6506 today!
How veneers from your dentist in Winter Park can enhance your smile
Do you want a great looking smile, but instead you have unattractive, cracked, or yellowed teeth? If your smile is suffering, chances are your self-esteem is suffering too! It’s time to bring out your beautiful smile and it’s easy, thanks to porcelain veneers. Dr. James Outlaw at Outlaw Dental in Winter Park, FL wants to share how porcelain veneers can help you and your smile.
Your smile plays a big part in your self-esteem and self-confidence. If your teeth are damaged or showing the signs of aging, it can affect how you feel about yourself. That’s where porcelain veneers can help.
Veneers are thin laminates of beautiful porcelain which are cemented onto the front surfaces of teeth. They are designed to cover up many unsightly cosmetic dental issues including:
- Yellowing, thinning teeth due to aging
- Cracks, defects or fractures due to trauma
- Breakage, chipping or tooth wear due to bad habits
- Heavy stains and discolorations from smoking, coffee or medications
You can also cosmetically alter the positioning of teeth by closing gaps between teeth, eliminating tooth overlap, and correcting the look of rotated teeth.
With proper care, your porcelain veneers will last for many years and still look dazzling. That’s because porcelain repels stains, and will stay sparkling even if you drink coffee or smoke. Porcelain veneers also look just like natural teeth because porcelain is translucent and reflects light, just like natural tooth enamel.
If you want to jazz-up your smile for a special event you have coming up, porcelain veneers are a perfect choice. They typically require between two to three appointments to complete, including a consultation, preparation, and cementation appointment.
If you want a beautiful smile, porcelain veneers can help. If you want to get noticed and feel better about yourself, porcelain veneers can help with that too! It all starts with a simple phone call to Dr. Outlaw at Outlaw Dental in Winter Park, FL. You deserve a fantastic smile, so get started by calling today!
The most romantic holiday of the year, Valentine’s Day is celebrated each February 14th. It’s a time when many look forward to giving (and receiving) cards, flowers, and other tokens of love. On special days like this, it’s natural to want to look your best—and many surveys rank a person’s smile as his or her most noticeable (and appealing) physical feature. But what if you are unsatisfied with your smile?
Don’t worry! Today, cosmetic dentistry can resolve smile problems as never before. Here are some popular and effective dental treatments that can quickly brighten up your smile.
In just one visit, dull or stained teeth can often be lightened by up to 10 shades! How? We use special bleaching solutions that are applied safely, under our careful supervision, in the dental office. You can’t use these concentrated solutions at home. But if you‘re not in a rush, we can prepare custom-made take-home bleaching trays and whiteners that are safe for home use. The same results can be achieved, but the process may take weeks instead of hours. After months or years, depending on lifestyle factors (like whether you smoke or drink coffee, red wine, etc.) your teeth can have whitening treatment again.
Small chips, cracks, or other minor irregularities can be quite noticeable in an otherwise flawless smile. Fortunately, these problems can often be resolved with a treatment called cosmetic bonding. In a relatively simple in-office procedure, we can apply tooth-colored bonding material to restore teeth to better appearance. Layers of high-tech bonding material are built up and cured with a special light to form a tough, natural-looking tooth surface. Bonding isn’t as long-lasting as some other types of restoration, like veneers or crowns, but it’s an easy and inexpensive way to resolve some smile problems.
Professional In-Office Cleaning
Remember that feeling you get after your regular checkup? Your mouth feels squeaky-clean, your breath is fresh and you’re ready to show that sparkly smile. So why wait until your next routine appointment? You can schedule a hygiene visit any time. We will remove plaque from your teeth, check your gums for signs of periodontal (gum) disease, and make sure you’re on track for good oral health. If any problems are found, we’ll take care of them right away. And if you have questions about cosmetic procedures, it’s the perfect time to ask. A professional cleaning can help your smile look (and feel) great.
If you have questions about brightening up your smile, please contact our office or schedule a consultation. You can learn more in the Dear Doctor magazine articles “Artistic Repair of Front Teeth with Composite Resin” and “Important Teeth Whitening Questions Answered.”