Teeth that are badly stained, shaped or crooked may be improved by a veneer placed on the surface of the affected teeth. Dr. Jim Outlaw, your Winter Park, FL cosmetic dentist, can tell you more.
What are Veneers?
Veneers are thin shells designed to cover the front side of your teeth. They can correct chipped, stained, decayed or crooked teeth.
What do veneers fix?
- Uneven surfaces
- Chipped and/or crooked teeth
- Oddly shaped teeth
- Uneven spacing
How are veneers installed?
The thin porcelain, or plastic, appliances are cemented on teeth surface to improve color and/or shape. Your Winter Park cosmetic dentist uses little or no anesthesia when cementing veneers on teeth. The procedure is irreversible because small amount of enamel are removed off the surface of your teeth.
You need at least three appointments for the procedure:
- Diagnosis and treatment planning
A dental lab technician makes the veneers using a model of your teeth provided by your dentist.
What are the advantages of veneers?
Porcelain veneers hide undesirable defects such as:
- Stained teeth
- Teeth damaged by injury
- Gaps in front teeth
- Chipped or worn teeth
They also have,
- Long life expectancy
- Good color stability
- High resistance to permanent staining
How do you care for veneers?
- Avoid unhealthy food, like hard candy and sodas
- Choose healthy food, like fruits and vegetables
- Brush your teeth twice a day, at least, and make sure you hold the toothbrush at a 40-degree angles
- Floss at least once before bed and make sure you try to floss under the gums on the edge of the tooth
- Visit your doctor twice a year for your bi-annual checkup and dental cleaning
Who should you contact?
For more information on veneers, call Dr. Jim Outlaw at Outlaw Dental in Winter Park, FL, at (407) 671-6506.